Nov 12, 2004

I haven’t written in awhile now. It’s been a busy time and as much as I have to say, I wanted to give myself the time to clarify my thoughts.

Over the last week or so, since the election I’ve gotten a few angry emails from people about how dissatisfied they were by the outcome - I actually probably lost a friend over this stupid election (more on that another time).

So, since it seems to be a bit of a preoccupation with some people, let’s talk about the election.

Should we couch our conversation in the simplest of terms? Should we break everything down to “red states” and “blue states?”

I guess it all depends on just how ‘stupid’ one wants to be about the whole thing.

Yeah! That’s it! It’s those goddamn red states! No, it’s the fucking blue states - they just don’t get it!


Is this what the level of political discourse in this country has sunk to? Seems like it.

To take the tact of the patron saint of the Democratic party, “I feel your pain.” All the Democrat supporters out there who had pinned all their hopes on the Kerry/Edwards ticket, truly it was not a good day.

Of course, I don’t have to tell you this, you’ve been running around in your misery for the last few weeks since the election, basking in the delightful suffering of the election loss - so please take this in the spirit it is given: GET THE FUCK OVER IT!

Harsh? Maybe.

Look, Democrats in this country are faced with a tough job at this moment - they need to work harder than ever before. Let’s put it this way, the same effort that went into promoting the Kerry/Edwards ticket was an honest and earnest effort - it’s admirable, it really is! But, now the real job begins and that’s not about giving up. It’s about focusing all that effort onto the mid-term elections in two years and working just as hard for the state and local Democratic candidates on the upcoming ticket.

And let me tell you, I’m speaking as a registered Republican - figure that one out! Truthfully, I can say I’ve never cast a vote for Georgie Junior. As much as he wants to present himself as the standard bearer of the party, the dirty little secret is that there are a lot of moderate Republicans (yes, Democrats - I know you have a lot of trouble believing this but, we are out there) who would’ve been altogether happy to vote for someone other than Junior.

It’s just Kerry wasn’t that guy.

I mean, there are people on the Democratic side I really wish would’ve made the ticket, but they didn’t. Hell, there are some ‘Democrats’ I know who weren’t altogether that comfortable with candidate Kerry - what does that tell you?!?

Do me a favor though. Stop painting Republicans with a broad brush. During the campaign, I heard my party of choice vilified so much so, I almost was at the point of voting for Junior out of spite! Yeah, I can pull the party line lever with the best of them, do I want to? No, but make my party out to be a villain and you’re pushing me into that corner (which I think isn’t such an unusual reaction).

Man, I wish Kerry would’ve wowed me but, honestly when you got right down to it, I couldn’t find anything I was too happy about with his ‘plan for America.’

I think there are a lot of people out there that felt the very same way. Actually, I didn’t seem to pick up that much of a plan other than ‘I’d do the same thing the other guy did but, I’d do it better.’

It just wasn’t enough - and if you hardcore Kerry supporters out there tell me I’m wrong about that, well I guess that means you really didn’t do such a good job getting your message out to me and all those other people that voted.

So, suit yourself if you want, move out of the country, or how about talking about seceding from the union (ignoring the fact that in all 50 states there were people who voted for each of the two major candidates). Better still, just continue to whine and look for ways to blame the people of our country, “They’re stupid,” “Americans suck,” or my personal favorite, “you’ll be sorry.” The election was rigged somehow. I’m sure we’ll be able to obsess about the thousand and one reasons why Kerry didn’t win but, at the end of the day you’re just going to have to get past that.

Obviously something is happening in this country. There seems to be something going on of which we are all aware and truth be told I would hate to see the political pendulum swing too far to the right or to the left which would only happen when people decide they want to separate themselves from the process.

No comments: